Blocking is the act of removing editing and uploading privileges from wiki registered users, or IP addresses. Blocks usually last a set amount of time, depending on the nature of the transgression. The general purpose of a block is to help prevent disruptive actions from further occurring on the wiki.
Reasons for blockingEdit
In general, violating any of this wiki's User Conduct policies can be a reason for a block.
The following are general reasons for a block:
- Excessive vandalism and/or spam
- Personal attacks against any user
- Disruptive behavior
- Inappropriate usernames
Please see our user conduct page for more information on what is and isn't appropriate behavior on the wiki.
The following are not suitable reasons for a block:
- Settling editing disputes
- Precautionary measures
- Accidental edits or mistakes
Length of blocksEdit
The following applies to both the regular wiki site, as well as the live chats.
|Reason for block||Length of time|
|First instance||Second instance||Repeated instances||Exceptional cases|
|Vandalism||2 weeks||3 months||1 year||Indefinite|
|Spam/solicitation||Warning||2 weeks||3 months||Indefinite|
|Excessively rude behavior or language||Warning||1 month||1 year||Indefinite|
|Harassment||Warning||1 month||1 year||Indefinite|
|Disruptive behavior||Warning||1 week||1 month||Indefinite|
For any violation of our user conduct policy not listed above, the type of block instituted and whether a block is issued at all will be at the discretion of this wiki's administrators.
Appeal of blocks/chat bansEdit
If a person has been blocked from editing or banned from the live chats for a temporary amount of time, the following procedure should be followed.
- The administrator who issued the block or ban should be contacted about the decision. In the event that no response is received after a few days, another administrator should be contacted about the block.
- It is at discretion of the admin whether the block or ban will revoked.
- To revoke a block, valid reasons for lifting it must be presented. These may include but is not limited to the following:
- Block or ban was not carried out in good faith
- A mistake or error was made in the block/ban
- Extenuating circumstances
- The following will be considered when an appeal is made:
- The circumstances around the block
- Amount of time passed
- Past history on the wiki
- Activity and behavior on other wikis
- Any attempts at block circumvention
When appealing permanent blocks, the above procedure will be used. Additionally, any appeals of permanent blocks must be made after a period of at least six months. Should the admin consider revoking the block, a forum thread will be started regarding the user's status. This thread will remain open for at least two weeks. Any decision to remove permanent blocks must be arrived at by consensus from the wiki community.